Monday, October 8, 2012

DPS

 Having my own car has been very nice, but whats a car without your license?

Finally the day of my big test had arrived!!


             It was a Monday a little before school got out, we headed up to the DPS to take my test. We arrived a little early so I could practice parallel parking before I went in. As soon as I walked I became overwhelmed with anxiety. I could feel myself wanting to cry, hoping I didn't fail and really excited with the idea of passing. 
             We walked up to the counter and I was a little worried because the lady was a bit mean. She got my fingerprints, looked over my papers, we paid, she took my picture (which looked awful!!), then it was time for the vision test. The problem was the tiny numbers kept moving. I tried so hard to get them right, but they were numbers like 5386 that all looked the same in block letters. I kept failing and failing, the lady finally got to the point where she said I may just have to reschedule after I replace my worn out contacts. But I had waited so long for this, I couldn't give up and go home, just because of old contacts, so I tried again. Finally I couldn't take it and let the tears of anxiety and frustration fall. It was quite embarrassing because I usually don't cry and especially not in public. 
             The lady felt bad and her mood automatically changed, she let me try again and with great effort I did get all of the numbers right and I was able to take my test. My DPS officer probably thought I was crazy for crying before she even was in the car, but I didn't really have time to worry, I HAD to pass the test. 
             I was doing very well and Was almost finished when we came to the stop-sign before you turn into the DPS for the finish. There was a railroad before the stop-sign and a truck with a trailer in front of me, and I stopped on the other side of the railroad to give the truck enough room to stop. He started moving forward so I pulled forward, but he stopped again, leaving me stuck on the railroad.....I apologized to the officer and was like "OH. NO." about five times, knowing she would fail me for sure.. she gave me the lecture..."any other officer would fail you, but because you knew exactly what you did wrong, and that truck did make it confusing, I'm gonna let it slide...You pass". Let me tell you..I wanted to hug that lady and say thank you a million times!!! I finally have reached the moment that I had been waiting for for as long as I can remember...I became a Legal driver.




The next day I bought my parking permit so that I can drive to school, and slowly It sank in that I am growing up...scary!!



My Plastic License came in the mail the other day and Im happy!! The picture it awful, but I can deal with it!!  Driving has been so much fun!! I love feeling independent and its even worth being the sibling taxi!! 

Praise God for nice DPS officers!!

Drive safely, 
Love, Felicity


No comments:

Post a Comment